With Temperatures Dropping, MDHHS Gives Steps to Prevent Carbon Monoxide
As we turn back the clocks on Sunday and temperatures continue to fall, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services wants to remind residents to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Each year in Michigan about 29 people die and 145 are hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are a new tips to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide:
- Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have your furnace or wood-burning stove inspected annually.
- Never run a gasoline or propane heater or a grill inside your home or garage.
- And never run a car in an enclosed space.
At high levels, carbon monoxide can cause death within minutes.
Symptoms include headache, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea and confusion.
If you think you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, or your detector sounds an alarm, go outside immediately for fresh air and call 911.