Chemical, Cause of Death Determined After Body Found in Manistee
We have an update about the toxic material found after a body was discovered near a Manistee beach.
Sunday, police and rescue crews responded to the First St. Beach for the reports of a body being found.
The body of a 27 year-old Mancelona man was and appeared to have hazardous chemicals. As a precaution, officials were decontaminated and evaluated.
And now, the chemical has been determined to be sodium azide. When mixed with water, Sodium azide releases a toxic gas that can be lethal. Hazmat crews eventually cleared the contamination.
Then on Monday, Manistee police contacted Antrim County deputies about the discovery.
Investigators say the man had left a suicide note about a lock box, which was found to contain a vial with a cork.
Rescue and hazmat crews were called to the area and three homes were evacuated.
The three families were then taken to a nearby fire station to be evaluated, but were later released.
Hazmat teams also concluded that there was no exposure to the gas in the home.
Now, officials are saying that there is no threat to the public.